Sunday, May 25, 2008

specificity v. temperament and vision

http://firedoglake.com/2008/05/21/finally-barack-obama-gets-specific-about-what-change-is/

One of the criticisms of Obama has been his insufficient specificity (I think McJoan made this statement), although Hilzoy and Kathleen and others have argued that Obama has been quite specific.

I gather that Obama is surmounting Swopa's specificity threshold barrier.

I've tended to look at matters rather differently.

I'm just not much worried about specifics, within reasonable limits.

(Update: Of course the Flying Spaghetti Monster is in the details of, er, what the meaning of "reasonable" is.)

I'm more concerned about temperament and vision. Specifics are worth something, but specifics tend to be ephemeral, because policy specifics will inevitably be bent to conform to political realities.

For me, the fact that Obama decided on community organizing rather than set his sights for (what I read was) a near-certain SCOTUS clerkship says loads more about temperament and progressive instincts than policy specifics.

Put slightly differently [beats dead equine vigorously], temperament and vision give an indication of how a person will act in novel situations, or when his'r'her preferred way forward is blocked. Specifics are static and of limited predictive value.

Once I saw that HRC, Edwards, and Obama seemed to be peas-in-a-pod (w minor differences), I let specifics go and looked for other reasons to vote for or against particular candidates.

My recommendations are free and worth every penny.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At June 4, 2008 at 8:23 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Stumbled across this post by accident -- my feelings about Obama needing to get more specific had little to do with my personal support (I knew that he had policy stands more or less in line with my views). Instead, it was my analytical opinion that for the best chance of winning in November, he had to make those specifics more central to his pitch to voters.

Running on "hope" and "change" and mumbling the details would be, in effect, asking us to buy him as a person rather than buying a set of policies. This approach has its merits and devotees (including Obama's chief strategist), but it would also make him more vulnerable to the coming GOP assault on his personality.

But if Obama frames this election as one guy who's going to end the war in Iraq, give us fairer economic policies, improve health care, etc., and one guy who's not -- with "change" and "hope" as emotionally inspiring accents, rather than the entire package -- then it's going to be easier for voters to brush aside the name-calling from McCain et al.

Nice blog, by the way!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home