Monday, May 26, 2008

Mannion on "my Obama problem"

another 3-day e-mail adaptation. Sorry, don't remember where I saw it.

one of the points of contention on the clown mailing list was whether Obama is a closet conservative, a closet liberal-progressive, another Huey Long, or just what.

I think Mannion has it right, but as many people (Hilzoy?) have said, "it's a roll of the dice."

http://lancemannion.typepad.com/lance_mannion/2008/03/my-obama-proble.html

There are two possible "post-partisan" Americas.

One is the America the Washington Village elders imagine, in which Democrats and Liberals keep their mouths shut and don't spoil any more parties by wondering what the poor people are doing tonight.

The other is one in which torture is simply an evil and there is no liberal or conservative stand on it.

As far as I can tell, Obama has not promised anything that will bring about the first kind. My Obama problem has been that I haven't heard him say it enough times that he plans to bring about the second. But I've heard him say it.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home